Embraced

Tight hugs in expensive cars
expensive embraces ephemeral
flashes of light blinding headlights
stealing my sight and my will
to give much more to these amorous sinners, counselors, leaders of the race to the sun.
i've entered late, i've sealed my face to the moon
looking back on my own old drop offs
like medicine like memory
like i might explode with love or pain

these self-same tie-tighteners, these gown-zippers
so very married to ideas i'm afraid to entertain
such post-cards,
such hallmark couplings in shakespeare's straw
potent and brittle like the tears on my cheeks,
crashing their weddings and their funerals
all excuses for more pointless affection.
these salacious, affectatious beatnick reveries
make me meaningful,
make my arms full -
as arms are meant to be.

Written by:
John William Davies,
A Bakersfield, CA. Poet

Comments

Popular Posts